12 February 2022

Three Afternoons


On 27th January Dad and I decided it would be a good idea to bring the expecting pet ewes into the shed. Their field is big and even though they're pets, they can sometimes be hard to catch when they're in trouble. I would be able to monitor them more closely indoors.

On Wednesday I sat with the girls and took some photos. I wasn't sure if Heather was indeed pregnant but I decided to bring her in with the others just in case. I know now that it was the right decision and that she is indeed pregnant.

The girls have access to a lick and as much silage as they can eat.

One by one the girls came over for some strokes.

Rosie has had some serious health issues over the past couple of weeks. A sore hind foot became infected which led to the early stages of pregnancy toxaemia, otherwise known as twin lamb disease. The additional weight of her lambs put more pressure on her sore foot which made it more painful to stand. She couldn't walk to get food or water so became weaker, and although I brought over food and water to her, she didn't always feel like eating it.

After a few days she started showing sings of recovery - being able to stand up by herself, then walk further distances, and showing more interest in food. For two days all was well, before she suffered a vaginal prolapse, or reed. My home care was no longer sufficient and the vet was called. He pushed the reed back in and stitched Rosie up. Now she would need help giving birth so it was a tense wait to see the first signs of labour.



Penny's been very round, grumpy and uncomfortable recently. The sooner she has her lambs, the better.


On Thursday morning I went out and there was a lamb lying near Flora, as quiet as a mouse, and a little ways away there was another. Flora had twin girls! Both lambs were up and looking really healthy. After the stress of keeping Rosie alive over the previous week, it was great to see Flora just get on with things. I went out in the afternoon with my camera to get some photos of the new arrivals.

Heather inspecting Elodie.

Flora checking on Elodie - she has a busy time keeping track of her two babies.



Flora's other lamb, Elsie.


The following day saw further developments in the lambing shed... but not for Elodie, who has chosen this spot as one of her favourites for a nap.

Rosie went into labour at last, meaning we had to cut her stitch and help her give birth. First to arrive was Eli, a tip lamb out of John, and then Eddie, another tip lamb, this time out of Poundland. When I went to check on them in the afternoon Eddie wasn't in the best shape, lying flat on the straw and shivering. Rosie didn't have enough milk for two anyway, after all that she'd been through, so I decided to bring little Eddie into the kitchen for some extra care.

Meanwhile, Eli was thriving under Rosie's care. He's more lively than this brother.

Eddie's floppy ears are adorable.

I brought Eddie into the house, and returned half an hour later to find Elsie relaxing.

Elodie in another comfy spot.

Rosie had moved with Eli to the back of the shed and was protecting him - or using him as a pillow!

Elsie remained seated.

1 comment: